The 2.4 miles track is legendary, and every year thousands of spectators are attracted to each event. The Goodwood motor circiut in West Sussex, England was once again “The place to be” for 33,000 enthusiasts of historic motor racing on the weekend before Easter. The Goodwood Member’s Meeting was called to life by Lord March, the owner of the luxurious estate. The camaraderie of the 1950s and 1960s years should be maintained – with all your senses, as in the old time. “I am proud that we succeeded in bringing together a special selection of racing cars and motorcycles “, as the Earl of March explains at the 74th member meeting.
This year, there were a total of twelve races that were held during the two-day event. Three of the outstanding time witness groups of motor racing – Super Touring of the 1990s, down-to-Earth formula 1 cars and group 5 sports cars of the 1970s .
The races were driven with great commitment. Tires at tires the classics drove over the finishing line. All collisions went off unscathed – also if it looked sometimes different.
New in this year was the Gerry Marshall trophy. A race in which the Sedans of the years 1970-1982 measured each other. The S.F. Edge trophy for vehicles from the Edwardian era (beginning of 1900, the time of the brit. Archduke Eduard VII) up to the year 1923 wowed viewers too. The tiny vintage of Duncan Pittaway, a GN Curtis from 1921, was beating the gigantic Delage DH V12 by Mattias Sielecki. A show was the Sunbeam “Indianapolis”, that Julian Majzub drove over the track.
The very first motorcycle racing at the Goodwood Member’s meeting was the Hailwood trophy, held for two-cylinder 250ccm and 350 ccm Grand Prix motorcycles, which were racing in the 1970s. Ian Simpson won on his Yamaha TZ350E from 1979. Richard Parker on a 1981 Spondon Yamaha TZG finished second and Dean Stimpson took the third place with his Harris Yamaha TZG.
A really hard fought race was the Derek Bell Cup – a race for formula 3 cars from 1964 to 1970. Andrew Hibbard got the laurels and won with his 1966 Brabham Ford BT 16, followed by Peter Thompson (1968 Brabham-Ford BT21) and Jim Blockley (1970 Cehvron Ford B17). The Cup for the Graham Hill Trophy vehicles for 1960-66 GT was won by James Cottingham in a Shelby American Cobra Daytona Coupé. He was followed by Andrew Smith (2nd place) and Rob Hall – also with the AC Cobra.
Victory in the Parnell Cup Grand Prix, formula 2 and “Voiturette vehicles”, which ran until 1953, was claimed by William Nuthall in a Cooper-Bristol Mk2. Second was Eddie McGuire in the 1952 Cooper-Bristol MK 1 and third of Marc Valverkens Gordini type 16 in 1952.
The final race of the weekend was the Peter Collins Trophy for 1948-55 sports car with drum brakes. Sam Hancock won in 1953
Cunningham C4R, second was Steve Boultbee Brooks (1955 Aston Martin DB3S) and third Richard Woolmer (1954 HWM Cadillac).
In addition to the rapid races a number of high-speed, high-octane demonstrations was held, such as for the Formula 1 cars of the late 1970s and early 1980s, which gave their distinctive howl to the best. The guests enjoyed the sight of the Group 5 sports cars – including a record meeting of Ferrari 512 s and Porsche 917s.
As the official timing partner of the event, IWC Schaffhausen staged a major special celebration showing three Mercedes-Benz silver arrows, driven by racing drivers and F1 legends such as Mika Häkkinen and Jochen Mass on the demonstration laps in the W196s.
In addition to the attractions at the circuit the visitors enjoyed themselves at diverse amusements and thereby earned points that were deposited on the account of their favorite House Group.