As a result of a two-year design-project the Renault Coupe Corbusier is now presented in Corbusier’s Villa Savoye north of Paris: „Des Voitures à Habiter: automobile et modernisme XXe-XXIe siècles („Cars for living: the automobile and modernism in the 20th & 21st centuries“). The exhibition can be seen until 20 March 2016th. Courbusiers Villa is opend the first time since extensive renovations again in its original state of 1932.
Villa Sovoye was one of the first houses ever, which had integrated garages. Corbusier was one of the most influencing architects of the 20. century. He (his real name was Charles-Édouard Jeanneret-Gris) stood with his designs for a radical change of architecture as a logical consequence of the rapid technological development and its impact on life.
Corbusier’s Villa Savoye was one of the first houses that was built so that a vehicle could drive through the pillars and garages were integrated in the house. The exhibition shows the transformation process of the Villa and that it was perfectly natural for Corbusier that architecture adapting to the needs of the people.
Equally radical is the design of the Renault Corbusier, totally free of any requirements of the production concept. Large and striking patterns of Art Deco movement are on the radiator – an opulent geometry. The extreme proportions from the heyday of French coachbuilders were reconstructed to accommodate the presumably bespoke luggage.